Wednesday, June 8, 2011


Vladimir Nabokov was a Russian-born American novelist and critic. His document, Good Readers and Good Writers highlighted a few very important points about readers. “Notice and fondle details” (Nabokov 613). Those words, written by Vladimir Nabokov in Good Readers and Good Writers, is an important point. Noticing details is needed in reading because little details become metaphors or symbols for the entire novel. A good reader will catch on to those and will dive deeper into the symbolism of the novel, and not just the superficial meaning. Another quality that Nabokov views good readers should have is an “impersonal imagination and artistic delight” (Nabokov 616). Nabokov calls these authentic instruments, in which there is a balance between the reader’s mind and the author’s.
The last interesting point that Nabokov makes is this quote: “Study the new world as closely as possible, approaching it as something brand new, having no connections with the worlds we already know” (Nabokov 613). This quote means the world is a metaphor for the new book a reader is approaching, and they should focus only on its meanings. Once they fully understand it, a reader can compare it to other avenues of literature.
I agree with Nabokov’s statements because he was a very accomplished novelist and when I read, I do attempt to seek out details and fully understand the book I am reading. I believe the characteristic of a good reader is someone who can pay attention to the novel and not get easily distracted. However, the author’s goal should be to create a book that is enrapturing and exciting to read. I am a good reader, however I sometimes do not catch on to the metaphors or little details as much as I probably could; however I enjoy an exciting action novel.

If interested about the background of Vladimir Nabokov, this site could prove helpful: http://www.kirjasto.sci.fi/nabokov.htm

Works Cited:
Nabokov,Vladimir. “Good Readers and Good Writers.” The Norton Reader An Anthology of Nonfiction. Ed.Linda H. Peterson, John C. Brereton. Shorter 11th ed. New York, London: W.W. Norton & Company. 613-617. Print.

3 comments:

  1. Hello Stephanie,
    I really like the quote you used from the Nabokov's story.“Study the new world as closely as possible, approaching it as something brand new, having no connections with the worlds we already know” (Nabokov 613).I like how you defined it.I agree with you on having to pay attention to the little details. I envy that your a good reader and that you like to read. Reading does not come to easy for me I defiantly get distracted often. I do not really like reading but maybe if i found something that was interesting to me I would be better at reading.
    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Stephanie,
    after reading this article, we both took similar key points out, but what i liked most about your post is how you took out the metaphor idea. Nabokov believes having new outlooks to the world and i really liked the way you described it in your post. i too agree it's important to seek out details in the readings and try to find out the author's message.
    thanks for sharing!
    Sierra

    ReplyDelete
  3. You took the words straight from my mouth! I too believe that reading is a two way street. While the reader needs to stay focused on the story, it is the authors job to write something that helps keep the readers attention. I have the hardest time not getting distracted when a book becomes "drwn out" and unappealing. I really hate it whe the author draws out an outcome longer than needed or they take three chapters to get into the action of the story. I feel as the the author needs to catch a readers attention at the beginning. Im sure I dont focus as much as I need to be either which probably affects my interpretation of the story.

    ReplyDelete